Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Easy come, difficult go. Part 1 of two

The bus ride back to Brandon's side of town seemed like it took hours. On the way Brandon told me he fixed in the bathroom at the house and decided he was either going to check back into WestCare or do what he does best. Of course, once you're high crime doesn't seem like such a big deal. He thought the first house he hit was a total bust. There were no electronics, no guns, no jewelry. He told me he plopped down on the bed in the master bedroom and considered killing himself. While weighing his options he looked in the bedside night stand and BOOM! There it was, $900 in cash. As he usually does when he feels like he's got time he made his way to the house phone and called the Mexican. Normally dealers won't cover the entire town but Brandon said he wanted $700 worth so his dude was willing to make the trip.

After squaring up with the driver Brandon came back to get his rigs and backpack and decided to let me in on his score.

"I wanted to share this with you man. You have been a good friend." Brandon said

I didn't know what to say. He could have easily just told me he was going to rehab or back to his parents and I would have been none the wiser. But instead the kid wanted to continue his adventures with me. Most of me was happy. Some of me had wished he would have left me behind. 

"Thank you man. We make a pretty good team." I said

We spent the next week holed up in a new more out of the way alley shooting speedballs and eating little Caesars. Junkies don't have a care in the world when they have dope and money. It's as if the gas tank is on full and you love to cruise the countryside. However that night money was running low and so was our supply. We decided to drum up some funds before we ran out of drugs and made out way to an apartment complex down the road since we had burned up all the suburbs in the area in the past few months. We had been partially conserving our drugs and still had a good amount left. I only had 2 balloons on my which I carried in my mouth. Brandon had way too many to carry so he had about 14 in his backpack. 

We hopped the wall on the backside of the complex at about 11pm. Brandon had told me he had scoped the property a while back and they had no security guard so it was safe. We walked around for about an hour before we realized that hitting apartments with no car would be difficult and there wasn't any units that looked like easy pickings. As we rounded the drive to the front of the place we were ready to call it quits. We headed for the front gate and the driveway gate began to open. 

It happened fast. First the red and blue overhead lights came on, then headlights, then the spotlight. Before we could do anything LVPD was right on top of us.

"Stop right there. Come to the front of my car. Don't run." The voice said over the police cars PA.

"Put your hands in the front of the car." The mans voice said. 

We just sat there for a few minutes until the other car showed up at which time the cop got out of his car and began shouting questions about what we were doing and why we were in the complex. Brandon tried to juggle out a story to the officer. I said nothing. I didn't want to crosstalk Brandon and get us caught in a lie, not to mention I had balloons in my mouth. 

The cop didn't buy Brandon's story and separated us. This was the first time in my life I'd ever had to swallow balloons. It wasn't really that hard but I knew if the cop had any idea I was holding he would had most certainly taken me in. I told the cop I was just walking with my buddy and, as Brandon had said, we were looking for a friends apartment. It was about that time the other cop searching Brandon found his stash in his backpack. The cop asked to search my bag and i obliged. I had nothing to hide that wasn't already in my stomach. To my surprise as soon as the cop finished searching my backpack and my record came back clean he told me to leave. I didn't stick around. I felt really bad but they told me Brandon ahead told the cops it was all his and i had no idea about any of the drugs or needles they found on him. He took the blame for everything. I still remember making eye contact with Brandon sitting in the back of the second squad car as I briskly left the scene. I was grateful but did not have the luxury of showing it. I hoped the look on my face had expressed my gratitude.


If you would like to contribute to my efforts at stopping addiction please visit:
Together we can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment